Thursday 10 May 2012

The Importance of Herbal Teas

Just to set the record straight, the only thing I am against in the tea world are nasty, dusty little tea bags with no flavour or health benefits. And even there, I will stoop to drink it if nothing else hot and delicious is available. But grudgingly, oh yes, with great grudges.

However, plenty of people seem to think there is some sort of war between herbal teas (or tisanes), and "real" tea. Well, I'm here today to declare a halt on any such war, and to tell people to put down their tea spoons. Both teas have a rich and celebrated history, both are here to stay, and both have their values.

Some people claim that you can't enjoy a good tea unless its by itself, unfettered and brewed perfectly. I say it's one way to enjoy a good tea. I'm working on a few of my own blends right now, and I've had the audacity of blending together both green and black with herbs aplenty. Depending on your needs, each herbal blend can be  as varied and different as they come. Different plants do different things for different people. Mint might not help a queasy stomach, but ginger could do the trick. Then you found cardamom and never looked back.

But I digress.

My tirade on herbs are those that wish to take advantage of the masses, I suppose; which makes them similar to traditional drug companies then they are more comfortable admitting. Relying on the placebo effect to sell your herbs/medication is only the rankest of unethical business decisions. If your company has failed to collect potent herbs due to their shipping, harvesting, climate, etc., then do not pass it off as a miracle cure. Do not make a tea that is 98% dust and 2% echinacea, and call it the "Super Immune Booster". You are only making the public distrust homeopathic medicine less and less.

Also, to the homeopathic haters; stop being so damned snarky. I once had a man jab a finger in my face, demanding to see the paperwork and proof that I must have been hiding under my hippy skirts to show that my herbal tinctures could aid with "coughing and sore throats". Why do people insist I'm a doctor? I'm minus the degree and the cool stethoscope, if I'm not mistaken. If somebody wants to do their research and try their hand at a new remedy in order to ease an illness or improve their life, who are you to condescend? I am never afraid to meet these people toe to toe, and I love the smell of defeat and chamomile in the morning.

On the other hand, there are those who are too far on the other end of the scale; I'm sorry you have diabetes, cancer, gout, etc., but you really ought to see a doctor for that. No, I have no idea if these will interact with your medications, you really ought to see a doctor for that. No, just... no. The doctor is so not in, ever.

Would I have an herb for stupidity. I need another cup of orange pekoe to cheer me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment